Why focus on the First 1000 Days of a child’s life?
We have embarked on an education strategy that is built upon already successful work and through strategic relationship with established and experienced NPOs that have the expertise, experience and resources to help us on our journey.
We have identified 3 key areas in which we can make an impact:
FOUNDATION PHASE LITERACY, MASTERING MATRIC & focusing on the FIRST 1000 DAYS of a child’s life.
The last strategy is focused on the First 1000 days of life. What happens during this time sets the course for a child’s future. It has been said that their Matric result starts here!
The REALITY is:
- Child abandonment has risen dramatically in South Africa. It is estimated that about 3500 children are abandoned annually, about 300 per month.
- South Africa has the highest documented rates of Foetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS) in the world.
- More than 80% of children under 4, in the poorest 40% of the population are entirely excluded from registered ECD (Early Childhood Development) programmes and thus do not feature in national budget calculations.
- Only 23% of children aged 6-23 months are fed a minimum acceptable diet which means 77% of children under the age of 2 don’t get the right nutrition
- The first 1 000 daysof a child’s life, from conception until a child’s 2nd birthday, can set the course for his/her future.
- 80% of a baby’s brain growth takes place in the first 2 years of life, this has a profound impact on child’s ability to develop and learn.
THERE IS HOPE!
Loving care from parents or an attentive, consistent caregiver, a nurturing, safe space free from stress and harmful substances,nutrition and stimulation is all a child needs to have the best start in life.
It is the best chance our society has at breaking the cycles of poverty, violence, alcohol and drug abuse.
WE CAN BE PART OF THE CHANGE!
What can the local church possibly do?
Consider starting a pregnancy care and support centre to support mothers and babies in your communities. Do this in partnership with Africa Cares for Life
Watch these videos to learn more about the strategy and your next steps!
The First 1000 days:
Your Next Steps: