Why focus on education?
We have identified 3 key areas in which we can make an impact:
FOUNDATION PHASE LITERACY, MASTERING MATRIC & focusing on the FIRST 1000 DAYS of a child’s life.
These strategies build upon already successful work and strategic relationship with established and experienced NPOs that have the expertise, experience and resources to help us on our journey.
The Masterting Matric through tutoring strategy is targeted at those finishing matric. For most learners, this is the last great hurdle
The REALITY is:
- Out of 10 learners only 51 will write matric, only 40 will pass and only 17 with a bachelor pass (university exemption) which will allow them to apply to a university.
- Even though we celebrated a 78% matric pass rate in 2018, research reveals the ‘real’ RSA pass rate may be closer to 40%.
- We are making progress! While only 33% of 20-year-olds had passed matric in 2007, a decade later 45% of 20-year-olds had passed matric.
- Formal schooling ends at Grade 9 and is not the only method of education or learning opportunity available.
- The Department of Basic Education is aware and transparent in the reporting of these results
- The standard of the matric exams has been constant since 2008
THERE IS HOPE!
There is a strong link between an increased level of education and decreased levels of poverty. Education can be the roadmap out of poverty!
Although two-thirds of those who had no education were living in poverty in 2011.
For those who had some primary, this decreased to 60%,
for those who had completed primary school it dropped to 55%,
for those who had some secondary schooling it dropped to 44%
BUT for those who had completed matric it dropped even further to 23,6%
Only 1 in 20 people who had some form of higher education were living in poverty in 2011.
WE CAN BE PART OF THE CHANGE!
What can the local church possibly do?
Create a safe, quiet learning environment for under-resourced learners, providing academic and relational support. Do this through relationship with other Group churches.
Watch these videos to learn more about the strategy and your next steps!
Your Next Steps: